Vaccinations Urged After Hepatitis Investigation at Vincennes Restaurant

The Knox County Health Department is urging anyone who consumed food at Buffalo Wild Wing last week to get a vaccination for Hepatitis A.

According to a release from the Health Department, a recent investigation revealed a Buffalo Wild Wings employee, who has tested positive for the disease, worked while ill or prepared food on both Sunday, June 30th and Monday, July 1st.

And while the Heath Department says it is rare for a patron to become infected with the disease because of an infected handler, they will be offering free vaccinations at a clinic this Friday. That clinic will run from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. at the Health Department, located at 305 South 5th Street in Vincennes.

The Department notes, if you have received a Hepatitis A vaccination within the past 10 years, you do not need to be re-vaccinated. A hotline has also been established for those with questions and concerns, and can be reached at (812) 885-8413. Those who could be impacted, but can’t attend Friday’s clinic, are urged to contact their personal health care provider. It is recommended that a vaccination take place within 14 days of possible exposure.

The Health Department says the restaurant is working closely with both local health officials and the State of Indiana to prevent any new cases.

Anyone who consumed food at the restaurant is asked to monitor their health symptoms for the next 50 days, always wash their hands, especially after using the restroom or before preparing food, stay home and away from others if symptoms arise.

Hepatitis A is a viral infection of the liver that can cause loss of appetite, nausea, tiredness, fever, stomach pain, brown-colored urine, and light-colored stools. Yellowing of the skin or eyes may also appear. People can become ill up to 7 weeks after being exposed to the virus.

Hepatitis A usually spreads when a person unknowingly ingests the virus from objects, food, or drinks contaminated by small, undetected amounts of stool from an infected person. The virus spreads when an infected person does not wash his/her hands adequately after using the toilet or engages in behaviors that increase risk of infection.